Monday, September 24, 2012

Is GameStop Going Out of Business?

Without hesitation I can say I go to GameStop for all my gaming needs. I love the store. I like walking in and browsing for hidden gems. I like pre-ordering games, buying used games, and every once in a while having small talk with the friendly, albeit, somewhat nerdy, staff.

Other than their awesome return policy on used games, and on occasion the reasonable pricing, I don't really think of GameStop as a generous, price conscious company. I know up front they are in it for the money, and to be fair, for the money, they mostly deliver.

I know that they buy my old games for coke caps and sell them for gold bullion. With all this said, I still love GameStop. if you're a gamer, how can you not?

Here's what is worrying me. I think of GameStop as an evil necessary friend, or a necessary evil; whatever, you know what I mean. They're kind of like your drug dealer, if you're addicted to crack. He doesn't really care about you, but he's got what you NEED and is always there when you need him.

With that said, I'm afraid I might lose my dealer and here's why.

First

GameStop is in a mad dash to get rid of their inventory. I bought 47 games for $108. That's with shipping and two-day delivery.

Second

The rumor mill, the Hopi Indians, the web-bot, and even "chatter" being picked up by the NSA, are pointing to an all digital gaming market. All downloads... No more buying CD's or cartridges.

Third

GameStop is not a publisher or a developer. It's a retail business, like Best Buy, and in case you haven't heard, they're closing a boat load of stores.

Fourth

GameStop bought Kongregate, no doubt to diversify their revenue stream.

I'm speculating of course, but the future does not look good for GameStop. Or does it?

After all, GameStop has built a gaming empire, mecca, military industrial complex, universal healthcare, smelly kids utopia, gaming retail business Donald Trump would be proud of.

Surely they've got something up their sleeves. Please tell me you have a plan.

I know one thing for sure:

GameStop execs are working their butts off to survive the coming gaming apocalypse. You know, the one the Mayans predicted. You can be sure the corporate offices of GameStop are tense and cutthroat. And in this environment they will either succeed and survive, or alter their business model and be relegated to "publishing" browser games.



View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment